Thursday, May 21, 2009

Damned if You Don't

Revelation 3:16
Since you are lukewarm and neither hot nor cold, I am going to spit you out of my mouth.

Damned by Choice
... the soul which is living in mortal sin without even having the wish to escape from this condition. That poor unfortunate creature can but look forward to the wrath of God in the next life. Alas! These sinners hear me; they know well of whom I am speaking at this very moment.... We will go no further, for all that I would wish to say would serve only to harden them more.

Damned by Self-Deception
In speaking to you, my brethren, of the lukewarm soul, I do not wish, either, to speak of those who make neither their Easter duty nor their annual Confession. They know very well that in spite of all their prayers and their other good works they will be lost.

Damned by Indifference
Who can dare assure himself that he is neither a great sinner nor a tepid soul but that he is one of the elect? Alas, my brethren, how many seem to be good Christians in the eyes of the world who are really tepid souls in the eyes of God, Who knows our inmost hearts...

MORE:
http://www.icatholicism.net/literature/sermons-of-st.-john-vianney-cure-of-ars/the-dreadful-state-of-the-lukewarm-soul.html

No comments: